Pear Tree Mead Academy is committed to develop provision for young carers and their families.
We will capture the commitment by widening our provision, building on the needs of the young people and better meet young carers’ needs by reviewing Pear Tree Mead Academy’s provision for young carers with a view to ultimately achieving best practice.
How we will achieve this:
- The whole school is committed to meeting the needs ofyoung carers so that they can attend and enjoy school in the same way as other pupil/students and achieve their potential.
- Appointing a designatedYoung Carers’ School Lead (Katrina Thurgood) with responsibility foryoung carers and their families. Pupils and families will be made aware of the identity of this lead and how to contact them to access support.
- The school only shares information with professionals and agencies on a need to know basis in order to support pupils and their families.
- Pear Tree Mead will actively seek feedback and ideas fromyoung carers and their families to shape and improve support.
- The school has an effective referral system and strong partnership in place with relevant external agencies, including referral toYoung Carer agencies providing key workers who will work withyoung carers and families.
We will strive to achieve best practice for students and families in our school in order to provide them with the best chance of success in their future.